Hey Arnold! Fansite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defend your 'ship!

+7
peachcake21
shameonpretzel
Perhapsormaybe
NintendoGal55
Annemiek
Squirreltamer
hatterlet
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Defend your 'ship! Empty Defend your 'ship!

Post by hatterlet Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Alright, so I'm bored at work.

The point of this will be to argue one side of a completely random pairing. The person will choose a yay/nay approach to a pairing, then argue it.

The fun part will be having to use actual evidence. No 'They're just gross' or anything like that. Once you are finished, you get to pick the next pairing.

I will choose the first set, then you can go. How does this sound?

First pairing to argue- LilaxEugene.
hatterlet
hatterlet

Female Number of posts : 421
Favorite character : Brainy
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Phoebe

http://goodnightdannytrejo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Defend your 'ship! Empty Re: Defend your 'ship!

Post by Squirreltamer Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:46 am

Nay.

As much as people are interested in pairing up everyone in some semblance of straight pairing it is incredibly unlikely that everyone in PS 118 is going to grow up to be straight. More than anyone else in their entire grade it is heavily implied that Eugene is totally not into ladies. Also, considering WHEN this was created I'd even go so far as to say that Eugene is stereotypically gay - he loves musicals, his best friend is a girl, he compliments other boys on their appearances, he is also rather notably the only major male child in the series who never once showed interest in anyone of the opposite sex.

Therefore, in my mind, Eugene is very firmly on the gay side of things. Thus, het pairings with Eugene are majorly problematic for me.

On Lila's side of things? Eugene is not her type. Not that her type seems to be that great, but you could almost make an argument that her attraction to Arnie had something to do with how completely simple he was. I definitely think a lot of her interest had to do with him being from a farm.

FINALLY, that much pep in one couple? NO THANK YOU. I actually feel like Sheena/Eugene would be much the same way.

Next Pairing: Lila/Stinky
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 am

Yay.

We all know Stinky likes Lila. He said so himself, more than once.

And like you said, Lila likes simple, dull guys. Stinky's a little like Arnie, the way he talks, the way his eyes are half-closed most of the time, the way he likes lemon puddin' like Arnie likes plain flavored gum.. Yes, I think Lila could like-like him one day ^^

Also, they're both country folks. I could totally see them living together in a little house on the prairie, growing their own vegetables and riding horses and being happy together <3

Stinky's such a sweet and honest guy. Heck, he turned down a million dollars only to keep his dignity. And so is Lila, I'm sure she appriciated that most of all. They don't have a lot of money, but they don't care either. It'll all be okay because they have eachother <3

Next pairing: Gerald x Rhonda
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Yay.

I could definitely see these two becoming somewhat of a power couple. Gerald, although not on the list, is considered a fairly 'cool' kid. He would go along with Rhonda, I think, where she wore the pants, but he could still do his thing.

Gerald is a rather aggressive type, or at least he can be. I could see him pursuing Rhonda later on.

Grr. Not much canon evidence for this one. Uh, they both like red? Anyway, I can see this, but not prove it would happen.

Next pairing: CurlyxHelga (I've been watching the Opera episode :/)
hatterlet
hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Nay.

What's Opera, Arnold was fun, but soooo OOC xD

Curly likes Rhonda, obviously, and I think the reason why he likes her is because she's got style and she's wealthy. Helga's a simple girl on the outside, her clothes are normal, and the pigtails and unibrow don't make her a lot more good-looking either. She simply doesn't have the style that curly's looking for.

And Helga.. Curly's too crazy for Helga. She called him a weirdo and a freak.. No, I just don't see it. Helga wants a hero, a do-gooder, someone to calm her down, and Curly's certainly not a hero. He'd make things worse when Helga gets mad.

And she deserves a lot better ^^

They both take ballet lessons though, it would be hilarious to see them dance together xD

Next pairing: Helga x Brainy xD
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Nay.

*Is shot*

XD

Okay, so this is a huge topic for debate and probably one of the more popular alternative guys that the fans want to pair with Helga. But they would be a lot better off as good friends, because to be realistic, Helga loves Arnold. She barely even acknowledges Brainy except when he's wheezing during one of her monologues, and she sees him as a freak most of the time. Granted, she WAS nice to him a few times, like in "Helga's Love Potion" and "Helga On The Couch", which could show a potential friendship, but romance? It's way too one-sided.

They have that "very alike but way too different" thing going on, and there really is no spark or passion or even chemistry. Of course, that also relates to the fact that they have very little screen time together, so we don't get to see what it would be like if they were in one another's company for more than five seconds. Helga could have a good relationship with Brainy, and if they got together and got married, it wouldn't be a bad thing. However, there just wouldn't be that true love bit on her part. Yes, she could be happy with him and live a very content and pleasant life with him. Like I said, it'd be one-sided in the romance department.

So in all, they are better off as good friends and even something like close cousins or the brother she never had. She could love him, but not in an "in love" way.

Plus, it irks me how some fans actually have the gull to pair her with Brainy just because they feel sorry for him. What a sad reason to pair a character with someone. Plus, if the fact Helga loved Arnold really bothered Brainy, then why is he so cool about it and doesn't get in the way? Exactly. He wants her to be happy.

So anyway, that's just the way I see it. (I wrote a fanfic about Helga choosing Brainy, called "The Easy Way Out"...don't read it. I want to edit the ending first.)

Next pairing: SidxRhonda (Just because XD)
NintendoGal55
NintendoGal55

Female Number of posts : 296
Favorite character : Arnold and Helga :D
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Character Character: Arnold

http://www.fanfiction.net/~nintendogal55

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Nay.

Honestly, Sid is just too slimy for Rhonda. I can't see Rhonda being much in favor of his boots, hat, jacket, most of the clothing he wears,she wouldn't stand for his hair, etc.

Plus, Sid is too much of a wimp. He's easily scared, and I don't think Rhonda would be interested in someone who is actually such a push over.

Were Rhonda to become involved with Sid, I could only see it as a bit of a project for her. That being said, she already has a bit of a canon project in Harold, so why mess with something that ain't broken?

Next Paring: StinkyxHelga
hatterlet
hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 pm

Nay.

This is just like why Arnold and Lila don't go good together. Like Lila, Stinky isn't much of a doer. He's a very passive person who likes to stand by on the sidelines and watch as life passes him by. He's a real follower, and just goes with the flow of things, often doing things because it's what everyone else is doing.

Helga, on the other hand, is an active, passionate person. She needs someone with whom she can lead an adventurous life with, but who, at the same time, can mellow her out. Stinky would mellow her out way too much, and it would be to the point where either she would become as inactive as Stinky, or she would lose her mind and leave him. In the episode "Helga's Boyfriend" (I think that's what it was titled) when Helga has Stinky masquerade as her boyfriend to impress Arnold, all she did was boss him around the entire time. Helga would call all the shots in that relationship, and Stinky would just follow her lead. While Helga is a leader, she's also someone who wants, and deserves (After growing up in a dysfunctional family) to be taken care of. Helga needs someone who will let her live her life, but who will also help her out when she is in need of it.

At the same time, she has ambitions and dreams, and has every intention of fulfilling them. Helga will be someone who will want to leave Hillwood and explore the world, while Stinky is just someone who would be perfectly content living a simple, inactive life.

Next Pairing: Arnold/Rhonda

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Yay!

But not for forever.

HOWEVER, they would have a really hilarious crash and burn kind of relationship. I see her randomly asking him out one day and him agreeing on a whim and she makes him do all this stuff for her and eventually he is like: "RHONDA I AM YOUR BOYFRIEND NOT YOUR SLAVE." and she's like: "GOD YOU ARE SO PREACHY AND ANNOYING WE ARE THROUGH." and then she wouldn't talk to him for a week until she moved onto the next guy and she'd be like: "I think we should stay friends even though our relationship was flawed mainly because you suck." and he's like: "Okay then Rhonda."

AND THAT IS THE STORY OF ARNOLD/RHONDA.

Next Pairing: Wolfgang/Helga
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:17 am

YAY!

The two have anger issues, so it would be a doomed relationship from the start, but I see him liking her passion and her liking having a guy she can relate to so well. He'd realize that she still likes Arnold and he would go too far with bullying Arnold until one day she snaps, defending Arnold and breaking up with Wolfgang. He won't get over it for years.

Next pairing: Nadine/Sid
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:54 am

Nay.

OKAY THIS IS ONLY MY INTERPRETATION BUT:

Along with Eugene I also think that Sid is pretty damn gay. Less stereotypically so, but with more... has a VERY OBVIOUS crush on Lorenzo. I don't know. Maybe he's bi. I AM STILL UNDECIDED (although I honestly can't see him in a lasting relationship with a lady - though I also don't see him getting into a serious thing with a dude either so IDK).

Disregarding all that and assuming that Sid is at least a little bit into ladies I would still say nay, because SID IS AN ASSHOLE. No, he IS. And you know what? Nadine is really awesome and I want to see her go off and have fabulous adventures studying bugs forever and not settle down or if she must settle down let it happen much later in life and NOT WITH SID OKAY. Because he is a womanizer and is whiny and annoying and Nadine needs someone who needs less attention and babying, because I really don't see Nadine as being very interested in humans the way that she is interested in bugs. Not that she is into bugs in sexy ways or anything, but I really don't think romance is a big deal for her and so she's going to need someone who is cool with her being sort of flakey when it comes to romance junk.

Um. Yeah.

Next Pairing: Lila/Rex Smythe-Higgins III
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 am

Nay.

I couldn't see this one going down. Never mind the fact that we've never seen these two share screen-time together on the show.

And Lila seems to crush on guys that are down-to-earth and have a relatively simple outlook on life (i.e. Arnie).

Rex seems like an uppercrust, snooty character that would find fault with Lila's humble upbringing. Even if they were on the same level in terms of wealth, they seem incompatible - Lila is innocent and naive, while Rex is not above bending the rules to come out on top (i.e. Tour de Pond).

Rhonda seems more Rex's speed. That said, perhaps he could overlook status in one exception...

Next Pairing: Helga/Rex Smythe-Higgins III
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel

Female Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:13 am

Nay.

It would end up being a very "My Fair Lady" esque affair. He decides he can make her over to be one of the uppercrust...Helga won't have any of it and kicks his butt from Hillwood to San Lorenzo, finds Arnold's parents, and then kicks Rex's butt all the way back home. Helga doesn't seem the type to go for snooty. Her falling for Arnold shows she wants someone capable of deep amounts of love, enough to fill the void her parents' inadequate attention left. Don't see ol' Rex being capable.

Next: Sheena/Wolfgang (don't hit me, they were the first names to pop into my head)
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 am

Nay!

I don't really think it would work bacuse Sheena is such a sweetheart and Wolfgang is so rough. (correct me if i'm wrong) Also, didin't he and Ludwig hit ALL the 4th graders. I don't think she would spark after that! If they do end up toghether then he'll just boss her around. The pairing does remind me of A/H but the pair just has no passion. Also she likes Eugene, although it's clear he doesn't like her.

Next: Ernie/that model lady he stalks (p.s what was her name?)
peachcake21
peachcake21

Female Number of posts : 378
Favorite character : HELGA!
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character Character: *waiting for one . . . *

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 am

HUGE NAY!
(BTW, her name is Lola Smile)

Actually, that whole episode left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ernie's infatuation with Lola is borderline stalker-obsession (Taxi Driver, anyone?), and even when Lola entertains the idea of dating him but feels no spark, Ernie insists on having the last word and reprimanding her for choosing not to pursue the relationship further. Pretty skeevy, if you ask me.

Next Pairing: Phoebe/Arnold
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Yay.

But not for very long. So I'd say it's about half in half.

I know that Arnold does like Phoebe and he cares about her, and I know she likes him too, and if they did date, they would have a nice and pleasant relationship. They're both very smart, and would have a lot of very intelligent conversations and debates, they would definitely have a nice time together. So in all, they would have a pleasant courtship that would end in good terms.

So on the NAY side, they're a bit too different, and yet have common ground here and there, nothing that would stop them from enjoying one another's company. There also just isn't any chemistry or passion between them, and I can see that there just wouldn't be true love on either side. It would be a realization that they're better off as friends.

So yeah, yay AND nay. It wouldn't be a bad pairing at all, but there really just wouldn't be love. It would be one of those "Hey, why not? Let's date and see what happens", and then come to realize it won't work and so they end it and remain friends.

Also to be realistic, I doubt Phoebe would ever go for Arnold, because he's WAY too important to Helga. I know you guys might be thinking "Come on, Phoebe should make her own choice and not live under Helga's rules", and that is true, but, I'm talking here about how Phoebe would see their friendship as more important than a boy. I think Phoebe wouldn't have trouble throwing in her own line and finding another boy. So I think she'd be a good best friend and know that he's off-limits. XD I read a fanfiction one time where Phoebe kissed Arnold out of sheer gratitude, and Helga had witnessed it. She got angry and betrayed, running off into an alleyway until Phoebe eventually found her and told her what had happened and why she kissed Arnold, which was purely, as I said, out of gratitude. She even added that if she did like Arnold, she would never go for him because he was too important to her (Helga).

Next pairing: ArniexLila (XD Because I want to see what you guys say about it)

Last edited by NintendoGal55 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to add something I forgot...)
NintendoGal55
NintendoGal55

Female Number of posts : 296
Favorite character : Arnold and Helga :D
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Character Character: Arnold

http://www.fanfiction.net/~nintendogal55

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:03 am

Nay.

Not really much to say about this one. Lila likes Arnie, but Arnie likes Helga, and Arnie is too dull-witted to notice otherwise.

Next pairing: GeraldxHelga
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:09 am

I'd say Nay..

Tough choice though, because I do think there'd be lots of love and passion IF they'd ever fall in love..

But I think they're both way too stuborn to be boyfriend/girlfriend. I think they'd have lots of fights and keep breaking up and getting together again.
Gerald thinks he knows so much about girls, but in fact he has no idea what's going on in Helga's head, she's way too complicated for him. The poetry and all, I don't think he'd get it.
And they are obviously not at all interested in eachother in the show. I can't even remember if they ever had a real conversation in the show.

Next pairing: Sid x Lorenzo xD
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:46 am

Yay!

It's super implied that Sid has a super big crush on Lorenzo when he shows up! And they actually add in Sid's obsession with Lorenzo and his lifestyle into later seasons. I guess you could argue that it's the LIFESTYLE that Sid is in love with, but he also just really cares about how Lorenzo sees him - both morally and in terms of social status.

I definitely think they could work out longterm, although i honestly get the sense that Sid would mess it up after awhile.

Next: SidxStinky
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePinkBow Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Nay.
The way I see it, they are more like brothers. Like the movie for example. It's pretty obvious they've been best friends for a very long time (like most of the characters). They have a very close relationship but I doubt either of them would think of the other that way.
Next: Mr.SimmonsxPeter (from Arnold's Thanksgiving)
LittlePinkBow
LittlePinkBow

Female Number of posts : 15
Favorite character : Helga and Arnold
Registration date : 2014-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe2 Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Yay...ish

The problem with this ship is we never got to see the two interacting with the pressure off. Peter seemed like kind of a jerk, but maybe that was just his defenses coming up a little too hard because he dislikes how is basically in-laws treat his boyfriend. Mr. Simmons is a sweetie, so I'd like to think Peter makes him happy the rest of the year. Thanksgiving just kinda sucks for them.

Older Timberly (as in, it would be age appropriate)/older Arnold
Perhapsormaybe2
Perhapsormaybe2

Female Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePinkBow Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Hmm....Nay.

I think Timberly would have a boyfriend that is probably in her grade. When she had a crush on Arnold, I feel like it was only because he was being nice to her and giving her attention (like when Sid let her join them and she said she liked him). She wasn't exactly 'heartbroken' when he 'broke up' with her ("What type of pancakes do you like?"). Timberly would probably end up thinking of Arnold as an older brother.

HaroldxRhonda
LittlePinkBow
LittlePinkBow

Female Number of posts : 15
Favorite character : Helga and Arnold
Registration date : 2014-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by agshepherd Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:54 am

---This Ship Defend Is Reserved For Squirreltamer---
--Any other poster will be subject to many tomatoes thrown at them--
love you, alyssa

XD
agshepherd
agshepherd

Female Number of posts : 221
Favorite character : Pooter
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Character Character: Helga

http://soapboxshouts.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 am

I don't want to defend I just want to add how fricking excited I am to hear Alyssa talk about Harold/Rhonda because MY FAVORITE SHIP OF LIFE YES

*PREEMPTIVELY HIGH FIVES ALYSSA*
AlisonSwift
AlisonSwift

Female Number of posts : 141
Favorite character : Harold, or Brainy.
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Character Character: Rhonda

http://alison-swift.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 am

Pass the popcorn.
hatterlet
hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum