Hey Arnold! Fansite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Teacher - Feb 27th

4 posters

Go down

New Teacher - Feb 27th Empty New Teacher - Feb 27th

Post by Annemiek Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 pm

New Teacher

New Teacher - Feb 27th Newteacher-1
["He's innovative, responsive and bright." "He taught us to ask WHY. Now that's an innovative brand of education."]

WHERE CAN I WATCH THIS EPISODE?
Download: Hey Arnold! Torrent file (Season 1-5 You'll need a torrent client program to download, like Bittorrent, but it's worth it)
Watch Online: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=VAO488IO (I tested it once, but can't guarantee it works for everyone)
Buy: Amazon.com / I-tunes

The questions:

1) What do you think of Mr. Simmons? Any idea why they tried to get rid of him at first?

2) Ever had a teacher like Mr. Simmons? What was your favorite teacher like?

3) Do you like/write poetry, and what do you think of mr. Simmons' and Gerald's poetry?

4) Any other thoughts?

REMINDER: You don't have to just answer the questions! Seriously, SAY ANYTHING YOU WANT. And respond to other people to keep the conversation flowing. Big Grin

NEXT WEEK: Helga's Love Potion (3/5) and Gerald's Secret (3/6)!!!
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Eugene

http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

New Teacher - Feb 27th Empty Re: New Teacher - Feb 27th

Post by peachcake21 Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 am

1.Hw's a sweetheart and seemsvery nice. I dunno just because he's the new one they want to teach a lesson too.. ahem Maybe because , well he's nice like Arnold and a pushover. What puzzled me was Arnold?

2.Yes. one 5th grade teachers looked like 'em. Another teacher acted like him, but was a girl. My favorate always told us stories about her life and said mild bad words.

3.Yes, infact I write some. I LOVE Simmon's but Gerald's...

4.WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH HELGA'S FACE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
peachcake21
peachcake21

Female Number of posts : 378
Favorite character : HELGA!
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character Character: *waiting for one . . . *

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:26 am

1) I like Mr. Simmons. He seems very idealistic and nice. He's a big dreamer. I like how he wants the students to ask "Why?". I do think that's the best way to learn. As to why the students wanted to get rid of him... that's pretty tough. I do think kids have a hard time adapting to change, and I think that may've been what contributed to them wanting to overthrow Mr. Simmons. Also, the kids didn't like Mr. Simmons at first because they didn't like his teaching methods. They found them too different; I suppose that could fit in with the whole concept of kids not adapting to change too well. It was only when they had Mr. Goose that they realized how good of a teacher Mr. Simmons was.

2) I had an English teacher my sophomore year of high school who was the sweetest lady. She was really encouraging and always had something nice to say to her students. She always gave me good commentary on my poems. Smile During my second semester of university (I'll start my fourth in April), I had a professor who always listened to his students and he did a fantastic job of explaining the subject matter in a way that the students could understand it. I learned SO much in that class and I love looking over all the notes I took in that class. I had that class twice a week at 7:45 in the morning, but I never missed a single class - I always looked forward to it. Smile

I believe that if there were more teachers like the two I had, and like Mr. Simmons, that kids would actually want to go to school, learn, and gain insights. Additionally, if there were more teachers like that, then the school system wouldn't be so screwed up like it is today. There need to be more teachers who actually CARE about their students.

3) Yes, I love poetry! I love to write and read it. I love the poem Mr. Simmons read. It's actually really similar to "This is Just to Say" by William Carlos Williams. Gerald's poem was great too and you could call it the "tame" version of Allen Ginsburg's "Howl".

4) Other thoughts: I thought Arnold was really out of character in this episode. I was surprised he didn't tell the other students to give Mr. Simmons a chance and instead decided to get rid of him with the rest of his class. He was VERY un-Arnold like in this episode.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:29 am

@One Fine Wire: For your number 4 OOC Arnold thing - at this point in the series Arnold wasn't quite a 'do the right thing' kind of guy yet. Like, I don't think he was actively cruel, but he was more likely in S1/2 to be a little mean or do something that he knew was wrong.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:52 am

@ Squirreltamer:

True. It seems that in Seasons 1 and 2, Arnold would be a little mean, but he'd eventually realize the error of his ways, like he did in "New Teacher". Still, he did have that compassion about him in those seasons that the other characters didn't have; I suppose that's why I found him a bit out of character in "New Teacher".

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 am

1. I adore Mr. Simmons at this age, but I remember my reaction to him growing up was more on "why's that guy so happy all the time? He's WEIRD.". I was around Arnold's age when I first saw an episode with Mr. Simmons, so I understand the kids' reaction. He was new, and he was different, and as kids they didn't know how to appreciate that, until they got Goose.

2. None of my teachers were quite such free spirits until I reached college...but then I went for a massage certificate and almost all of my teachers were hippies. We were encouraged to come to school in our pajamas, so long as they were appropriate. But my favorite teacher was a Miss Hume (so much so that I named a teacher after her in one of my Hey Arnold! stories). She, like Mr. Simmons, had issues because she was too nice and so was taken advantage of, but she was a kind woman who tried to make her classes as interesting as she could, and anytime I handed in a story she'd write a note in the margins about how good she thought it was. She encouraged thinking outside the box, and since it was a Modern Lit class (for that school, it was for kids too smart for English 4, but not quite up to Honors class standards), she'd do things like have the reports be creating a soundtrack to the book we wrote, and explaining why the songs we chose fit.

3. I used to write more poetry than I do these days...the last two poems I wrote were actually for Hey Arnold! stories I'm doing...but I adore poetry. I wasn't too big on the poem Mr. Simmons read, but I did enjoy Gerald's.

I'm not back in school yet, but I soon intend to go back for an English degree, which I intend to use to start teaching. I see Mr. Simmons as a model for what a teacher should be. Someone who's there for their students, who's supportive...I think he'd do well to learn how to discipline a bit better, but he makes it easy for the kids to come to him. He's a very kind man who's trying his best and loves his job.

Other than that, it's sometimes kind of nice to go back to the first two seasons and see how Arnold evolved. Later seasons he was so level-headed that he might not be easily related to by your average 9 year old (this was not a downside, in retrospect it felt more like kids watching were supposed to identify with Arnold's classmates, and Arnold would serve the role of the watcher's best friend who'd offer advice and a kind word). We all have our moments when we slip and aren't perfect, Arnold's no exception. I do like that he 'grew up' after the 2nd season, but I do miss his trouble making side. And I do think it important to note that Helga and Gerald were the clear ring leaders. Arnold went along with it, but his best friend was one of the big idea men.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 am

1) I see Mr. Simmons as the perfect teacher, there should be a lot more like him. I have no idea why they tried to get rid of him.. I can see why Helga didn't like him.. She must have been scared that he'd find out about her secret because he keeps asking questions to the individual kids. She must have felt a little threatened. Some of the other kids might find his teaching methods too hard.. But Arnold?! He should have said something when they were planning the whole thing. Even though he doesn't always do the right thing in season 1 and 2, this was very OOC..

2) Yes! We had a great teacher in the fifth grade! He was very nice, he cared about the kids and he used only positive methods.. It worked. Everyone loved him, we won awards because he learned us to have faith in ourselves. We had to raise money with our whole school for people in Africa every year, and EVERY YEAR his class won and raised the most money, not because he taught us how to raise the most money, but just because he kept saying 'You can do it! I believe in you!' Big Grin And he had this awesome game.. when you were good or you answered questions right you could earn green cards to 'buy' stickers and when your stickercard was full you could trade it for gadgets and toys, but when you were naughty you got red cards and you got nothing. That was SO much fun ^^
And he used to tell us about his rabbit, and that he lived in a little house on top of a hill with his boyfriend. He told about that every day. Big Grin

We had a guy like Mr. Goose too one day, first year of highschool. ONE DAY, after that we never saw him again XD We had a horrible class and when we didn't agree with a teacher we teased him so much that he quit Blush
But we had nice teachers too in highschool, they let us watch tv and stuff like that, and we got along great with them.

3) Yeah, I like poetry, I love to read it, and I write a little too. I liked Mr. Simmons' poem, but I liked Gerald's even better Big Grin

4) Funny story ^^ We got a vacation job at my dad's work a couple of years ago.. me and my cousin. So, we walked inside, and there was this guy waiting for us to show us what we had to do.. and we looked at each other and started laughing and said at the same time "OMG he looks EXACTLY like Mr. Simmons!" XD We even drew him a picture of Mr. Simmons and Arnold and Gerald, he liked it Tears from laughter
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:28 am

That reminds me, I had one teacher on the very first day at my 2nd high school who took the math problems and was drawing over it to explain which parts should be solved first, and he stared at it for a moment, then drew a hat and hair and said "Hey, doesn't it look like that football-shaped cartoon character?" Like 6 students all shouted at him "You're right, it's totally Hey Arnold!". I really think that's the only reason I managed that particular lesson of Algebra, I'm normally terrible at it.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down