Hey Arnold! Fansite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moments you weren't so fond of

+4
Annemiek
Squirreltamer
shameonpretzel
NintendoGal55
8 posters

Go down

Moments you weren't so fond of Empty Moments you weren't so fond of

Post by NintendoGal55 Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Okay, we all love this fantastical series, as we sit and laugh through every joke, giggle at the puns, squeal happily over romantic shipping moments, smile widely at the bond and strength of friendship, and the occasional slapstick comedy sending us into hysterics and so forth. But there also come moments that we're thinking differently. While it doesn't effect our opinion of the series or episode for that matter (I hope not, anyway), we do have times of where we're saying "What the heck were they thinking!?" or whatever.

So what were moments you weren't particularly fond of, and how would you change them, if you wanted to change them?
NintendoGal55
NintendoGal55

Female Number of posts : 296
Favorite character : Arnold and Helga :D
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Arnold

http://www.fanfiction.net/~nintendogal55

Back to top Go down

Moments you weren't so fond of Empty Re: Moments you weren't so fond of

Post by shameonpretzel Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:29 am

1. Phoebe's Little Problem.

I'd be happy if that episode was never made.
Mad

2. Any episode involving the Johanssens becoming interested in someone of the opposite sex.

There were three of these episodes in season 5 - it just seemed like the writers were running out of ideas at this point.
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel

Female Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:49 am

Curly's Girl

I'd have never let that one happen or I would have forced the writers to drastically change it because it is just awful from start to finish. Curly sexually harasses Rhonda. Curly blackmails Rhonda into dating him. Rhonda is miserable and hates him and is being forced to pretend to like him. She breaks up with him at the end of the week in a totally awesome, completely justified way. Everyone around her treats her like a monster and vilifies her for breaking up with Curly. She figures that the only way for her friends to stop treating her like shit will be to date Curly again. More miserableness with him kissing her against her will or want and then he actually finally does something nice and dumps her so that things can go back to normal. THEN instead of the show saying "Wow, Curly that was a shitty thing to do but at least you learned a lesson about sexually harassing women and hopefully will stop doing that!" it instead goes "Wow, Curly it must be so tragic to be you because you are so misunderstood and really when you sexually harass women it is just your way of showing that you care!"

Which. NO.

So yeah, that episode would have been shut down right away.

Weighing Harold

It is a terrible, horrible, really heartbreaking episode and probably I would have done away with it, but at the same time I love Harold and he sort of breaks my heart in this episode so I can't completely hate it.

It is still horrendous and Sid and Stinky are the world's biggest assholes.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 am

I agree with all the above Smile

I didn't like 6th grade girls that much..
First of all, I don't really like it when little kids date older women.. I don't mind Ruth that much though.. I think it's the way Connie and Maria dress and use way too much make-up, they act like they're 16 years old..
Second, Arnold's acting OOC, don't you think? And the disco... BIG nooooooo! xD

Crush on Teacher
Same reason.. but worse. Young boy, old woman.. no

The Sewer King, didn't like that one much either.
That episode was plain weird.. That sewer king was scary and gross.. I never liked it.
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 pm

I think I brought this up over on the rewatch once. I really hate the scene in Helga's Love Potion when Helga tells Phoebe about 'ice cream'. Phoebe's reaction always grated on me. Instead of being supportive of her friend in her weakest moment, Phoebe told her to grow up and get over it. Wow Now wait, run that past me again?

I dunno. I guess Phoebe was trying to help, being logical and stuff, but it still always bugged me.
hatterlet
hatterlet

Female Number of posts : 421
Favorite character : Brainy
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Character Character: Phoebe

http://goodnightdannytrejo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah! You're right, that was weird..

And another thing I just remember that always confused me: that the kids were pulling on Georgie, the snake, remember? Don't think that's good for snakes xD When I was young I thought "maybe it's a stuffed animal or something, 'cause you're not supposed to pull em like that, right?' Meow
Annemiek
Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Good points!

I definitely have to agree with "Sixth Grade Girls", but also on grounds that the whores girls even had the gall to use Arnold and Gerald like that. BITCHES! Justify it any way you like, but you do not EVER use someone just to get back at a boyfriend/girlfriend. It's called DUMP THE LOSER or WORK IT OUT.

Sorry about that, got a little upset. ^^;

I also agree with "Crush On Teacher". Yes, there's nothing wrong with getting a crush on a teacher, happens all the time. But man, even I was feeling uncomfortable! Miss Felter would've been a pedophile! And poor Arnold would've been jailbait! No. Just no.

Let's see...

"Biosquare". Okay, admittedly it was a good episode because it ended up showing the teamwork between them, not to mention the symbolism of the red ant and the black ant in love. xD

I don't know about you guys, but man, Helga was EXTRA mean in this episode. Yes, to be fair, I'm sure it wasn't much fun being cooped up in a green house for 24 hours with limited resources when you're a kid and not used to it, not to mention having to hide the fact that you're in close proximity with someone you love and trying to hide it, having to be on guard all the time. I guess that explains it, but man, seriously, I found myself actually saying "Will you calm down already?! Look on the bright side for a minute! It can't be THAT bad!". XD So I do understand, but at the same time, I was a bit irritated. Oh well. They could have at least ONE moment where she's thinking of the bright side, but no. Oh well, not much I can do about that.

The result was what mattered, anyway. X3
NintendoGal55
NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 am

Haha, I actually disagree with a lot of the moments you guys hate. I freaking love Connie and Maria in "6th Grade Girls" (much less so in "Phoebe Skips"). I think Connie and Maria acting older plays into the whole idea that these kids are actually basically teenagers in the way they act.

I don't have an issue with Crush on Teacher because - hey, it happens! Kids get crushes on their teachers. I definitely think Miss Felter let it all go to far and should have sent Arnold home the minute he showed up on her doorstep, but overall I thought it handled everything pretty well.

Biosquare is awesome and has some of my favorite Helga/Arnold interaction. Helga is not an optimistic person and she's pretty much miserable and mean and I thought she was spot on.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:19 am

I second Squirreltamer. "6th Grade Girls" and "Crush on Teacher" are really cute episodes, and in "Biosquare" I think Helga acted appropriately given the circumstances.

My hate mainly lies with a lot of 5th season episodes - specifically ones that seem like clones of episodes from previous seasons.

"Love and Cheese" - same as "Operation: Ruthless", but with Lila..

"Stuck in a Tree" - a repeat of "Roller Coaster", only not as good (and actually kind of disappointing; how many of you half-expected to see Helga in the tree instead of Eugene, since the new voice actor they got sounded a lot like Francesca Smith?)

"Eugene, Eugene" - *shudders*...what a shameless follow-up to "School Play", with half the story and half the heart.

And then there were a couple episodes that weren't terrible, but just didn't do much to advance Arnold's character.

"Deconstructing Arnold" - the official "Arnold is Mother Theresa" episode. Even though it was a season 4 episode, it was already the beginning of the end.

"Egg Story" - I HATE the way Arnold jumps the gun in this episode, especially when Helga was willing to cooperate with the project. A lot of unnecessary drama, not unlike "Arnold & Lila" (which I liked, BTW), but more forced and a lot less entertaining.
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:52 am

I actually like the Love and Cheese/Operation: Ruthless thing because it was very clearly MEANT to be a repeat idea. IDK, I really like watching Helga screw herself over.

I also love Egg Story a whoooooole lot. Moreso for the Rhonda/Harold subplot, but I kind of like how Arnold gets to be an asshole in the beginning of Egg Story. It helps ground him back in reality a bit after all the "Arnold can do no wrong" that happened towards the end of things.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 am

Aww, I LOVED Eugene, Eugene and thought it was great that Eugene got to be the focus of an episode where he didn't seem so uh...cursed.

Arnold Betrays Iggy bugs me. It just...bugs me. Not too fond of Timberly Loves Arnold either. I know little kids liking their sibling's best friend happens, but then it gets...weird. I winced a lot of times during the episode, plus the freaky Lila/Arnold as giraffes scene ...it just weirded me out.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by funnybones021 Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 am

hehe, this is a tough question. Very valid points so far, but I think the only episode I really really have a problem with is Fighting Families. lol, I wish I had a reason for not liking it, but I really don't.
I kind of agree with shameonpretzel about Deconstructing Arnold too. I wish that Arnold wasn't so saint-like during the later seasons. I think he's always been a really good kid, but I wish he wasn't placed in this altruistic box where he couldn't loosen up a little bit.

I really don't like the idea of Connie and Maria using Arnold and Gerald like they did, but other than that I didn't have a problem with the episode (besides, I know it happens in real life). When I watch the show, I never really think of the HA! kids as kids anyway. They always seem to me to be teens or even adults trapped in a 9 year old's body.

lol, btw, I loved Stuck in a Tree. I think that episode was hilariously quirky. Probably the only person who loves that episode more than I do is Annemiek :P
It's another ep. to fuel my internal debate, "who's the actual jinx, Eugene or Arnold?"
funnybones021
funnybones021

Male Number of posts : 21
Favorite character : Arnold
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character Character: -

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:34 pm

I like "Deconstructing Arnold", actually. It did have its moments, but I can see why people aren't so receptive of it.

It's another ep. to fuel my internal debate, "who's the actual jinx, Eugene or Arnold?"

Good question. XD It sure fueled in....Eugene's Birthday, I think, when Eugene called Arnold a jinx! I guess in a way it's debatable. xD And I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't stop laughing my head off when Arnold was being forceful and aggressive toward poor Eugene that he was going to throw a perfect birthday party no matter what. XD Poor Eugene! Okay, so Eugene is meant to be clumsy jinx of the series, but I guess it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Anyway, back to the topic.

Timberly Loves Arnold, yeah, didn't much like that episode myself (except the end, OH YEAH! XD), but I also like it because it goes to show that even good kids like our dear Arnold makes selfish decisions. So it goes either way.

As for Egg Story, that was a good episode. XD Even if they were fighting at the beginning! Yeah, so Arnold WAS kind of mean, but at the same time, to be fair, I can see why. So it's understandable! It was also a good thing because, well, even the most awesome pairs in the world have fights! That's realism here, people. And considering the circumstances, I'm not surprised. And hey, it was nice how they made up to a degree at the end. And then find their egg that hatched into a chickie! AWWWWWW!!!! <3 And the Harold/Rhonda sub-plot was so sweet! Big Grin

Ooh! "Phoebe Skips". Okay, so it's realistic for airheaded bimbos to take advantage of smart kids, but man, SO MEAN!!! They made me so mad the way they treated poor Phoebe when all she was trying to do was be nice and be friends. But at the same time, I liked this episode because it just went to show how much Helga and Phoebe really mean to one another. It was so sweet at the end when they were hugging and telling each other about being best friends. Awww...<3 The power of friendship.

Okay, getting too sappy here. XD

Let's see....

The eating contest episode. It's good and funny, but MAN! All that food made ME want to vomit. I'm not joking.
NintendoGal55
NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by funnybones021 Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes! I love Eugene's Birthday for those very reasons. Maybe Eugene and Arnold are only jinxes when they're together. Or maybe when they're apart, Eugene is just a regular jinx; but when he and Arnold are together they make a mega jinx.
funnybones021
funnybones021

Male Number of posts : 21
Favorite character : Arnold
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character Character: -

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 pm

I think the dumbest episode is Chocolate Turtles. It's just like... well okay then. That happened.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by shameonpretzel Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Squirreltamer wrote:I think the dumbest episode is Chocolate Turtles. It's just like... well okay then. That happened.

NO! NO! NO!

Don't you see? Chocolate Turtles was a trilogy episode. Throughout the series, there were three episodes that focused on Arnold getting a go-kart.

One was "Helga Blabs it All" (remember how all the boys were in Arnold's room and then Arnold says "So about that go-kart...?")

Then there was the actual go-kart episode, "Grand Prix"

Chocolate Turtles falls somewhere inbetween, before "Grand Prix", but likely after "Helga Blabs it All" (remember Harold was in the room as well, so at some point he probably defected and teamed up Helga and Phoebe).

It's almost like the creators wanted to tie-in this concept as a sort of ongoing subplot or story arc, but it ended up getting scrapped.
shameonpretzel
shameonpretzel

Character Character:

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 am

Lol! I never noticed that. Still, as an episode it's pretty dull.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlinJ83 Fri May 14, 2010 7:10 pm

to comment on perhapsormaybe on timberly loves arnold, yeah i know what you mean it was kinda gaggable!

CarlinJ83

Female Number of posts : 15
Favorite character : helga
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down