Hey Arnold! Fansite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unlikely but Loveable Pairings

+4
Annemiek
Nefarious
Squirreltamer
Perhapsormaybe
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Unlikely but Loveable Pairings - Page 2 Empty Re: Unlikely but Loveable Pairings

Post by hatterlet Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:03 am

And that, I think, sums up the whole idea of shipping.
hatterlet
hatterlet

Female Number of posts : 421
Favorite character : Brainy
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Phoebe

http://goodnightdannytrejo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Unlikely but Loveable Pairings - Page 2 Empty Re: Unlikely but Loveable Pairings

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 am

[quote="Perhapsormaybe"]Wow. Well, at least this community's willing to accept differing opinions. I've been in a few where it was "Like this couple or I hate you!"....scary, scary fandoms.[/quote]

Perhapsormaybe, I completely agree with you on this! This was the one of the things that turned me away from "The Office" fandom. It was all the naive, narrow-minded JAM shippers who weren't open to there being other pairings on the site, even if they [b]WERE[/b] canon, like Michael/Holly or Angela/Dwight. The excess of JAM and the fact that they didn't like other pairings was one of the many things that turned me away from "The Office" fics.

[quote="hatterlet"]Exactly. "Word of Craig" kinda gets on my nerves sometimes.[/quote]

Sometimes I'm bothered by "Word of Craig" too. Yes, everything he says, goes, since he [b]CREATED[/b] "Hey Arnold!"; and while we all know that Arnold and Helga are meant to be, that doesn't mean that the two of them never dated other people before reuniting again. I think it's perfectly safe to say that the two of them pursued other relationships and romantic interests before ultimately coming together. It's also the more realistic approach the two of them would take, despite the fact that I see Arnold being more open to dating others and being more active on the dating scene than Helga.

Also, let's keep in mind that in "Hey Arnold!", we're dealing with nine-year-olds, and with "The Patakis", were dealing with fifteen-year-old high school freshmen. A LOT can change and happen during those times; dating partners are no exception. Very few, if any, couples stay together during their entire high school span, so sometimes those fics portraying Arnold and Helga as a couple all throughout their high school duration are a bit frustrating. I see the two of them having a lot to work through before ultimately coming together. Plus, it's not smart to pair off so exclusively at such a young age. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 am

Perhapsormaybe wrote:Wow. Well, at least this community's willing to accept differing opinions. I've been in a few where it was "Like this couple or I hate you!"....scary, scary fandoms.

Perhapsormaybe, I completely agree with you on this! This was the one of the things that turned me away from "The Office" fandom. It was all the naive, narrow-minded JAM shippers who weren't open to there being other pairings on the site, even if they WERE canon, like Michael/Holly or Dwight/Angela. The excess of JAM and the fact that they didn't like other pairings was one of the many things that turned me away from "The Office" fics.

hatterlet wrote:Exactly. "Word of Craig" kinda gets on my nerves sometimes.

Sometimes I'm bothered by "Word of Craig" too. Yes, everything he says, goes, since he CREATED "Hey Arnold!"; and while we all know that Arnold and Helga are meant to be, that doesn't mean that the two of them never dated other people before reuniting again. I think it's perfectly safe to say that the two of them pursued other relationships and romantic interests before ultimately coming together. It's also the more realistic approach the two of them would take, despite the fact that I see Arnold being more open to dating others and being more active on the dating scene than Helga.

Also, let's keep in mind that in "Hey Arnold!", we're dealing with nine-year-olds, and with "The Patakis", were dealing with fifteen-year-old high school freshmen. A LOT can change and happen during those times; dating partners are no exception. Very few, if any, couples stay together during their entire high school span, so sometimes those fics portraying Arnold and Helga as a couple all throughout their high school duration are a bit frustrating. I see the two of them having a lot to work through before ultimately coming together. Plus, it's not smart to pair off so exclusively at such a young age. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 am

@One Fine Wire: Weird, but I'm actually slowly making my way through watching The Office online. I have no interest in venturing into fandom, because I think the show is fulfilling for me. That said, as I've watched I realized that I'd pretty much ship Pam with anyone. Yes, her and Jim are totally made for one another, but I have soft spots for Dwight/Pam and Michael/Pam. ALSO, Dwight/Angela is boss.

I totally agree with Helga/Arnold seeing other people as they grow up. I think it's realistic for them to separate, fall for other people in ways that do or don't work and maybe one day reunite. I've always seen their romance being a struggle.
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 am

@Squirreltamer- DWANGELA FTW! And Dwight/Pam is my silent OTP!

@One Fine Wire- I totally understand. That's the one reason I haven't invested myself into the The Office fandom, the obsessive Jam fans turn me off, and the amount of neglect the other characters get is just... sad.

But back onto HA! >_>...

I'm actually writing a two-part fic of Arnold/Helga, where they meet up in Africa quite a few years after where 'The Patakis' would have started. In it, Helga's gotten pretty much over Arnold after him being away for so long. People change over time, feelings change, they return, they go away entirely. The HA! kids are just that, kids. It's why I love the ending to the HA! movie so much. Helga has professed their love, but they KNOW they're nine years old, and they go back to how they were.

Ahh, I'm rambling. :P
AlisonSwift
AlisonSwift

Female Number of posts : 141
Favorite character : Harold, or Brainy.
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Character Character: Rhonda

http://alison-swift.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:52 am

@ Squirreltamer: I've always seen Arnold and Helga's romance as being a struggle. It seems that they would have a lot of stormy times before finally reaching that certain calm in their relationship. Craig Bartlett did say that Arnold and Helga would break up after admitting to liking each other in "The Jungle Movie", mostly due to a lot of crazy, stormy times in their relationship. I think they both need more time to sort things through and figure things out before they can ultimately be together.

As for "The Office", I started reading fics back during the end of Season 4, when (In my opinion), the show was beginning to decline drastically in quality. I hate sounding like a snobby "Old fan," but I don't think the show is what is used to be, and I feel that it's quality has really declined. I would say Seasons 1-3, and parts of Season 4 are the best, but I've just skipped over Seasons 5 and 6. I do like Jim/Pam, but like you, I LOVE Dwight/Angela, Michael/Pam, Michael/Holly, and I even like Jim/Karen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefarious Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:56 am

I'm not a shipper. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about 'who is dating who' or 'who *might* date who.' Maybe it's because I'm guy or maybe I simply lack the romantic spirit necessary to fantasize about it. Couldn't tell you. As for my opinion... I don't condemn and I don't convert. I'm just me and my thoughts. That's the way it is, but Arnold and Helga are different somehow. The relationship they share strikes an empathetic cord in the deepest part of my soul, in a place so secret and personal that I would be too ashamed to ever show it to another living person.
They aren't real. They're only cartoons... but I genuinely care about these two characters. I can't help but want so badly for them to be happy that my imagination takes me to a time and place completely removed from my own life where Helga's love is returned by Arnold and they walk hand in hand into a deliciously cliche' happy ending.

Helga has brooded on her love for Arnold since kindergarten (talk about starting young!) and those feelings never went away. In fact, they grew stronger the more time she spent around him. It's honestly not surprising that she went a little out of her mind and began frantically searching for something (anything) to serve as an outlet for her pent up affection for a boy who doesn't have a clue about her feelings. Helga's fixation with Arnold is so very, very emotionally unhealthy... but it's also one of the most endearing and beautiful things I've ever been privileged to witness.

Would Helga ever feel attraction for someone besides Arnold? COULD she? Her love for him is so driven and intense it's almost like a mental disorder. The weird thing is that Arnold is such a powerful opposing force of goodness that he transcends her insanity, purifies it, and without even realizing what he's done... he gentles Helga's bitterness towards life. Everything wrong in her world is somehow not quite so terrible due to him. By loving Arnold, Helga has even became a better person.
Yet for all his incredible morality, Arnold remains attainable and human. He doesn't have all the answers. He fails. He suffers. He makes selfish decisions (though he always comes to regret them.) There's never a time where Arnold is flawless. His calm and kind nature are uncommon, yes, but not unnatural. He's juuuust perfect enough so that he doesn't upset the fantasy Helga applies to him. It's not even like he's trying to live up to it, either. The situation simply works out that way.

I guess I support Arnold and Helga... because Arnold's inherent decency and goodness somehow inspired a poetess... while quelling the personal demons of a stalker. Their relationship is so mind-bogglingly, wonderfully, accidentally perfect... and so insanely complicated.

Last edited by Nefarious on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Nefarious
Nefarious

Male Number of posts : 150
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character Character: "Big" Gino

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:59 am

@ AlisonSwift:

I love your silent OTP! That is awesome. I actually read one fic where Jim and Pam broke up because the sex was horrible, and so Pam ended up with Dwight, making a living off of creating various beet paintings for Dwight's beet museum. It was rather humorous.

I agree. It is sad that other characters are neglected for the sake of Jim/Pam. It's just so revolting, because I've read a lot of great "The Office" fics where Jim and Pam aren't the central characters, and those fics don't get the attention they deserve because the main pairing isn't Jim/Pam. Granted, I did write one Jim/Pam fic. It was my first fic ever, and it's so embarrassing and so painfully obvious that I was such a "Noob" when it came to writing fanfiction.

I've thought A LOT about giving that particular fic a complete overhaul and rewriting it, but working on a fic where the fandom itself is annoying and obsessive, and where the show has completely fallen apart and experienced an utter decline in quality in terms of character development, consistency, humor, the plot (In both individual episodes and the seasons as a whole), and writing, just doesn't appeal to me. On the other hand, I wrote a Jim/Karen fic, and it only has one review because again, the Jim/Pam fans are too obsessive and hate anything that isn't about their pairing.

Anyway...

Your fic sounds great! The plot sounds awesome and very plausible and realistic. I look forward to reading it! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 am

*Applauds Nefarious*

I love reading whatever you type, Nefarious. Your writing is so poetic, even if it's just general conversation. Big Grin

@One Fine Wire- The first part is up on my LJ, but I'll probably post the whole thing when it's finished! Big Grin I read a fic where Dwight and Pam were trapped on an island, and it was shippy and cute and Dwight had another concussion... It was funny.
AlisonSwift
AlisonSwift

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 am

HAHA! Dwight having a concussion reminds me of "The Injury" when Pam was helping Dwight lay down on the couch by the reception desk before Jim and Michael took him to the hospital. That scene was so cute! Big Grin I can't imagine how hilarious it'd be to see Dwight having a concussion on a deserted island. XD

Is the link to your LiveJournal under your profile? I'd love to read your story! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:11 am

It is now! But here's a direct link so you don't need to search for it. Big Grin

http://alison-swift.livejournal.com/138659.html#cutid1
AlisonSwift
AlisonSwift

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 am

My thing with Jim/Pam is that I DO love it a lot, but IMO the show already fulfills their particular story so well that I don't NEED an outlet for them.

I've only reached the end of Season 3 and I'm not sure if I want to continue. I hear S4 as the beginning in a decline in the show, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

I loved Karen, but not so much Jim/Karen. I mean, Jim/Karen was all right, but I think what it really did was show how strong Jim/Pam is. I'm kind of bummed to know that Karen gets written out after that, although I guess it makes sense for her character since Jim was her main tie to Scranton.

And I am totally getting off topic sooooo... Hey Arnold!
Squirreltamer
Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 am

Oh, I like it! I also like that you gave Arnold a little sister. Smile

I love Africa. It's someplace I could always picture Arnold traveling to, especially when it came to humanitarian work. Just like his parents. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 am

@ Squirreltamer: Season 4 was when the show began declining in quality, but there are still some funny moments. I would say the best episodes are "Fun Run," "Money," "Chair Model," "Night Out," "Did I Stutter?", and "Goodbye Toby." The rest of the season is just rubbish.

Seasons 5 and 6 are horrible and are a real testament to how much the show has fallen apart. I don't recommend them.

Now, HEY ARNOLD: Go read AlisonSwift's fic! It's awesome! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 am

Duh-hurr. You're making me blush, One Fine Wire. Meow
AlisonSwift
AlisonSwift

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 am

Curly X Chicken!
I always thought curly would marry a chicken (dressed as Rhonda XD)
peachcake21
peachcake21

Female Number of posts : 378
Favorite character : HELGA!
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character Character: *waiting for one . . . *

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:23 am

So what, Curly is Gonzo now?
hatterlet
hatterlet

Female Number of posts : 421
Favorite character : Brainy
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Character Character: Phoebe

http://goodnightdannytrejo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:27 am

Maybe.
peachcake21
peachcake21

Female Number of posts : 378
Favorite character : HELGA!
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character Character: *waiting for one . . . *

Back to top Go down

Post by Nefarious Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:12 am

AlisonSwift wrote:*Applauds Nefarious*

I love reading whatever you type, Nefarious. Your writing is so poetic, even if it's just general conversation. Big Grin
That's very kind of you to say. Occasionally we all need to rant about something, I suppose. Smile
Nefarious
Nefarious

Male Number of posts : 150
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character Character: "Big" Gino

Back to top Go down

Post by oranjeac Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:49 am

I tend to like pretty much all types of pairings as long as there is some type of reasoning to it. My favorite unlikely pairing though is Sid X Stinky. I like the idea of Stinky being a ying to Sid's yang, down to earth v.s paranoid/prone to flights of fancy. I'd imagine him calming Sid down after he panics and being the voice of reason or not being judgmental about Sid's crazy ideas. I read a fanfic called "Summer of Sid" and it played out the pairing quite nicely.
oranjeac
oranjeac

Female Number of posts : 4
Favorite character : Sid, Helga, Gerald
Registration date : 2015-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2